How To Create a Favorites Icon and Bookmarking Script
To encourage people to bookmark your site, create a Favorites icon
that will stand out from other bookmarks.
How To Create A Favorites Icon
Note: Some hosting services don't support Favorites icons. If
you have issues, contact your web host and ask them to enable .ico
support. If this isn’t possible, use the workaround below.
Create Image Using Standard Graphics Program
- Set your graphics program options to colors palette = 16
- Create a 16x16 pixel icon image
- Save it as a gif.
- Convert image to .ico format using an image viewer such as
- Covert Image to ico File
- Open the gif file in Irfan View
- Save it as favicon.ico in the root directory of your website
- Upload to your server
- Test by adding your site to your Favorites.
Create .ico Using Dedicated Icon Editor Program
- Download freeware program
IconEdit 32 - IconEdit32 allows you to create, import, edit,
and save 16X16, 32X32, and 48X48 icons in 2, 16, or 256 colors.
[Max 9 Images]
- Open IconEdit32
- Go to FILE > NEW > IMAGES > SELECT 16x16, 16 color
- Create your icon
- Save it to the root directory of your web as favicon.ico
- Upload to Server
- Test by entering your site URL in your browser > add it
to your Bookmarks/Favorites.
ISP / Hosting WorkAround
Add the following tag between the <head> and </head>
files of your pages:
<link rel="shortcut icon" HREF="http://www.domain.com/favicon.ico">
... with domain.com point to the alternate location of the Favorites
Creating A Bookmarking Script
To encourage your site visitors to add you to their bookmarks,
give them a gentle reminder using this cross-browser compatible
Displays as : Bookmark this page!
- Works in Firefox and Netscape and Internet Explorer browsers
from version 4 onwards.
- In Netscape or FireFox - displays a message suggesting that
the visitor uses the Ctrl+D command to bookmark the page.
- In Internet Explorer - adds the current page and title to visitors
to bookmark only.