Google Linking Strategy
How Google ranks links on your website, within your site and to
your website always seems somewhat mysterious.
However, as part of the recent Links Week, Google lifted the veil
a little more to help webmaster gain a better understanding of what
pleases Google in terms of SEO.
The following is a high level summary:
Content and inbound links are the two most important factors -
pretty much what most SEO experts have always maintained.
Content - should be compelling and/or offer quality
products, reviews etc
Links -- forget the inbound links from spam sites,
Google is only interested in quality inbound links to contribute
to the PageRank
To create unique and compelling content for your site:
- Start a blog
- Make videos
- Do original researc
- Post interesting stuff on a regular basis.
- Teach readers new things
- Uncover new news
- Be entertaining or insightful
- Show expertise
- Interview different personalities
- Provide a useful product or service.
Creating valuable, unique, relevant useful content is still one
of the best ways to get your site and pages ranked highly in Google.
- Linking to other sites should only be done as a way to offer
more value to the visitor experience. Google expects helpful relevant
links to other sites so avoid linking to spam sites with only
pages of links and little or no unique content. Never have more
than 100 links on a page - this overloads the robots.
- Ensure all important site pages are no more than 3 clicks from
the home page. The directory level is of no consequence - its
the linking level that matters more.
- Check your site hasn't been hacked and hidden links placed on
your site. Ensure WordPress blogs have the latest security installed
and are updated.
- Interestingly, Google has been lowering the ranking on paid
- Use descriptive anchor text links for interior links, using
- Keep your site is transparent - Do not use link cloaking.
- Use 301 Redirects if you have permanently moved any webpages
- Have a sitemap to help visitors and robots find all important
- Focus on SERPs. It's what drives the traffic most.
Back To Top
SEO Index | Search
Engines | Google Page Ranking
| SEO Testing | Optimization
| Keywords | Using
Videos | Using Sitemaps